Monday 25 February 2013

Exploding and Erupting!



This photograph's from last night...looks like a giant rising up as lava shoots up into the sky

















It seemed like a peaceful and quiet weekend...but wait 'the old lady' has woken up!
Mt. Etna is erupting again and is spewing ash and lava, making a wonderful show at night.


Snow and lava

Not to worry I'm at least two hours away by car (We're closer to Stromboli, a smaller volcano which is out at sea) but I have had the opportunity to see the lava flow at night and it's quite beautiful and scary at the same time.  Etna erupts nearly every year and people who live near or on it(!) are used to the earth tremors and ash.



Photographs are from local news site but unfortuately I don't know who took them.




7 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

That's very spectacular.
I'm not sure I'd like to live too close to such an active volcano though

Unknown said...

I can't imagine seeing that in person let alone how can they be used to it wow!

Cathy Holtom said...

We have several small ones on islands about 20 miles out at sea but I've heard there's an enormous volcano under the sea further up, off the coast of Calabria, that one worries me more!

Studio at the Farm said...

That is a most awesome sight! it's strange to see the photo of Etna erupting in the snow. Thank you for these photos, Cathy.

Polly Birchall said...

How exciting! I am fascinated by Volcanoes. When we went to Sicily Etna was shrouded in mist, I was really annoyed. But we did sail past stromboli at 1 am. That was something to see! Wonderful pictures.

Dan Kent said...

Aaaah! This is not the post I expected! Glad you are far away, from that one at least. Come to sunny Florida! We only have hurricanes. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! ARe you sure you're far enough away from THAT?! The photos are magnificent, but scary!