Thursday 14 April 2011

Lunchtime in the Park


A seed pod from a tree, but I'm not sure what it's called.  I think the seeds were an orange/brown...any ideas?
I picked up the seed pod for my treasure trove from a park in Palermo.  I've spent several lunchtimes in 'Villa Giulia' sketching and eating my sandwiches, it's a lovely peaceful place in the middle of a bustling city.

L'esedra

The park dates from the 18th century and  has a perfectly symmetrical design in true Italian style.
There are four of these domed buildings facing each other around a fountain.



detail from inside the dome

There many statues and fountains and quiet corners and benches perfect for sketching and feels like a very romantic place.  Not suprisingly it's a popular meeting place for couples in the week but full of children at weekends. 

This poor boy is 'headless' sitting in the middle of a pond surrounded by calla lilies.




Of course there a lots of trees and flowers, and  several of my favourite fig trees.

The branches and roots always remind me of legs arms and fingers!

20 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

Can't help with the identification but I like the sketch.

The park sounds great. Coincidentally, just last weekend I saw a big old yew tree that had a trunk like people all standing together stretching up their arms. LOL

bettyfromtexas said...

These are wonderful sketches . . . what a beautiful place it is!

Sandy in Michigan said...

Thanks for the walk through your park! Your sketches are wonderful!

The Art of Phil Davis said...

Lovely sketches and a lovely park. Thanks

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Beautiful park, so much to see, enjoy and sketch (love parks like that, something I enjoyed a lot when I lived in Europe and Scandinavia)... I really like the last painting with the roots, I like how you left half of it unpainted. For the seed pod, I dont know what it is but for some reason it reminds me of Annis before the pod opens up (does Annis grow in Italy)?.

Beautiful sketches!!

Pat said...

Wonderful sketches xx

Anonymous said...

I think even I would manage to draw or paint in such an inspiring place!

Anonymous said...

The park looks like a little oasis in the busy city. Nice sketches. Enjoy your sandwiches there!
Sue

AtelierBrigitte said...

I think it might be the seedpod of a brachychiton. I've got some here as well and they look like your wonderful sketch.

Barbara B said...

Very nice sketches. What a nice way to spend your lunch break.

Unknown said...

Fantastic sketches Cathy. What a lovely place to draw.

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you Brigitte, I had a look and it does look like it's from the Brachychiton popalneus.

martinepittet said...

Wonderful sketches ! Lucky you to have this wonderful place to enjoy some rest !

Gillian Mowbray said...

Hi Cathy - in answer to your question - I didn't do anything to get my Followers back they just reappeared a few hours later.

I can see your Followers right now so I hope you can too. x

debra morris said...

Great work Cathy, so want to live in Italy!

Janene said...

Beautiful sketches in a lovely park--thanks for inviting me!

Alex said...

Gorgeous sketches! =)

Lucia B. said...

This is a lovely "carnet de voyage"! A very pleasant way to communicate an experience! I especially like the sketches of the statues.

Ann said...

Terrific sketches and what a wonderful place!

Sara Light-Waller said...

What wonderful sketches Cathy and what a gorgeous place to have lunch! Please share more pictures with us of such beautiful places. :-)