Thursday 9 September 2010

Hide your Face

Pen and coloured pencil

A couple more pages for my Arthouse sketchbook project.  My theme is 'a face in the crowd' and at the moment I'm looking at different ways to hide your face.   The page above is a veil and the prettiest veils are worn by indian brides.  I thought I would include some Mehndi tattoos as well, these are the beautiful henna decorations that are used on a brides hands and arms.


Graphite and coloured pencil



 The second of the two pages shows how you can cover your face with a beard.  This is Pete the Morris man, who I met last year.   A morris dance (for non uk readers)  is a folk dance, where the dancers attatch bells to their legs and wear flowers in their hats among other things! 

12 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

These are really nice, especially the bride with the veil.

Your journal is coming along quite nicely.

xoxo

winna said...

I am enjoying your sketches and discriptions so very much---they are just wonderful to see !

Maitha said...

The indian bride is beautiful with all the detail and u have captured the transparency of the cloth well...
I wear a veil myself and I often draw myself with cloth.

Sandra said...

I look forward to your Sketchbook postings. They are so sensitive and powerful.

Anonymous said...

Two more wonderful drawings! I love the delicate drawing of the veil.

Lucia B. said...

Both these drawings are beautiful, I am particularly fascinated by the woman with the veil. You have depicted with great mastery the transparency of the cloth, while the red colour gives a sense of intriguing mystery!

nanke's stuff said...

Two more wonderful drawings. I love the red you added to the bride, and the gentleman is charming! nancy

Ann said...

I really like all the works that you are doing for this project. It's going to be a fantastic book!

Unknown said...

I'll be digging through that pile of sketchbooks to find yours when it comes to Texas! These are fantastic!

Alex said...

Very interesting drawings! The combination of colors and pencils... simply great! ^^

Lesley Purcell said...

Wow the Indian bride is beautiful! Your Morris man made me smile too - I was watching a troupe of Morris dancers yesterday at the Otley Folk Festival and was really cross with myself for not having a camera or sketch book with me to keep a record... great sketch!

Margaret Ann said...

Your veiled woman spread is exquisite!